Who doesn’t love a good sequel?!?
Portsmouth Comic-Con is back and I am so happy! My hometown’s first major Con was a huge success last year and it’s worthy of all the praise it received. Big name comic book writers/artists from all over the world, guests from T.V/Movies, professional cosplayers and so many traders.
I was so proud of all the positive feedback I was hearing at the event and after. Reviews came in from far and wide about how professional and well organised it was, especially for a first time Con. I have no problem travelling to Cons across the country, but to have one in my hometown, that was so successful, was like a dream come true for this Geek!
One of the many highlights for me at last years event was the Superman 80th Anniversary exhibition. There was artwork on display, creators signing comics and a fantastic Superman panel which was perfection! This year there will be a Batman Exhibition that will showcase the Dark Knight’s evolution and development from his first appearance in 1939 through to the modern day, in a fascinating collection of high-resolution reproductions. I am very keen to check that out!
Because the location (Portsmouth Guildhall) is such a unique building the Comic-Con is going to be shared across all the floors and this year there will be even more things to see and do! There will also be a SUPER-STRUCTURE (nice name!) outside to accommodate more guests and will include a very exciting STAR WARS exhibition. Perfect for May the 4th, AKA STAR WARS Day!
So far many comic guests have been announced and there is still time for more to possibly be added. I have already noticed some big names that I want to meet. Dann Thomas, Chris Weston and Rob Williams to name a few. I am going to have to take some comics along again this year to be signed!
Listed below are some of the different areas which will be available to experience at the Con and there is so much variety, just like last year. There are areas for Gamers, cosplayers, collectors, creators. Everyone!
- The Guildhall is delighted to welcome GoGeek Events as a partner to this year’s Con as they run the Carnival of Cosplay stage, where adults and children can amaze with their creativity and imagination in daily competitions that celebrate the diversity and inclusivity of the spectacular world of cosplay and costuming. A host of guest cosplayers including Elmo Spike, Jax Parrow and Ironman will feature alongside a range of GoGeek’s own Icons.
- The University of Portsmouth’s emerging student talent with will be on hand to help visitors of all ages explore virtual reality, motion capture, screenings, game demos, robots and more in a showcase of state-of-the-art technology. There will also be the opportunity to experience VR Motion Simulators and gaming with Novatech, official sponsor and one of the largest retailers of computer products in the UK.
- The Interactive Zone will enable games fans to have some fun, offering over 40 years of gaming, from Pong to Pac Man and Mario to Minecraft, with an unbeatable selection of consoles from Portsmouth’s Game Over, while Dice Portsmouth offers hundreds of exciting board games from family classics to modern hits.
- The Wonder Zone will take visitors behind the scenes of film and TV with a fascinating range of displays, props and costumed characters from cult series including Doctor Who and a remarkable selection of screen accurate Star Wars props from The Isle of Wight Prop Crew.
- An expanded Comic City marketplace will offer an even greater range of comics, art, prints, crafts, toys, collectables, merch and more.
- The Gosport Steampunk Society will this year be pitting themselves as the Heroes of the Resistance in a War of the Worlds to protect Portsmouth against Martian Invaders and indulge in the magnificent and Steampunk staple, Tea Duelling.
So much to see and do! I will be there for both days from the moment the doors open to the moment they close! Portsmouth have been putting on something fantastic events over the last few years and have been really putting their name on the map for positive reasons. Music, entertainment, festivals and now it’s very own Comic Con.
This event returning just adds another item to my list of why I am so proud of my own Metropolis.
Portsmouth Comic Con, I am ready for you!
Book your tickets here before they sell out.