DC Comics are partnering with LA Zoo for a fun filled frog-tastic day!
On Saturday, February 8, DC Comics creators will be at LA Zoo for a menagerie of book activities and events. I wish I could be there for it!
There will be DC Super Hero presentations, animal spotlights, author/artist signings and book sales, drawing lessons, free giveaways and a photo op with Batman!
DC author/artist appearances include Agnes Garbowska, Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, Michael Northrop, Ridley Pearson, Kirk Scroggs, and Victoria Ying.
I interviewed Michael Northrop last year about his book “Dear Justice League” and I can’t wait for the sequel! I spoke with him again recently about this event and he sounded very excited about it! Here’s what he had to say:
“The zoo is the perfect location for this event because superheroes and animals are two things that really capture our imaginations and inspire a sense of wonder, especially in kids. I’ll be doing a presentation with the delightful artist Agnes Garbowska AND A ZOOKEEPER!
Really, any time you can add “and a zookeeper” to your sentence, it’s a win. We’ll be talking about and drawing superheroes, and (hint) the whole presentation will be for the birds. I’ll also be signing copies of Dear Justice League and taking part in a frog naming ceremony. It sounds ribbit-ing! I’m looking forward to meeting a lot of great young readers who love superheroes and animals as much as I do.”
Check out all the info below, it sounds like a great family day out and I wish I was closer!
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No, it’s DC Super Heroes taking over the L.A. Zoo!
On Saturday, February 8, 2020, DC and the Los Angeles Zoo are encouraging families to turn off the TV, leave the house, and spend the day together enjoying superheroes, graphic novels, and up-close animal demonstrations at “DC Presents: Reading with Zoo-per Heroes at the L.A. Zoo.” The all-day event will feature interactive presentations with live animals, signings, author/artist meet and greets, as well as free giveaways, photo ops with a costumed Batman, and much more.
The festivities will take place within the L.A. Zoo at Treetops Terrace next to the Tom Mankiewicz Conservation Carousel. Activitiesare free to attend with the purchase of Zoo admission and free for Zoo members. The full day of programming from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. will kick off with an honorary naming ceremony of one of the Zoo’s green and black poison dart frogs. The frog will be named “Russell,” after the main character in Kirk Scroggs’s critically acclaimed The Secret Spiral of Swamp Kid. The graphic novel follows middle schooler Russell Weinwright as he navigates the highs and lows of middle school as a half-swamp creature/half-human and befriends a tree frog that makes its home in his arm.
Following the 10:30 a.m. naming ceremony, Zoo attendees can participate in various all-day activities and enjoy fun presentations at the top of every hour. Programming highlights include:
- Interactive Author/Artist Talks and Drawing Demonstrations:
- Zoo-goers will hear firsthand from bestselling authors Shannon Hale(Diana: Princess of the Amazons), Dean Hale(Diana: Princess of the Amazons), Michael Northrop (Dear Justice League),Ridley Pearson (Super Sons) and Kirk Scroggs(The Secret Spiral of Swamp Kid) about their new middle grade graphic novels starring Wonder Woman, the Justice League, the super sons of Batman and Superman, and Swamp Kid, and enjoy learning about animals and the environment through a superhero lens with zookeepers and docents.
- Aspiring artists of all ages can learn how to draw their favorite animals and DC Super Heroes during drawing demonstrations by Scroggs and fellow DC artists Agnes Garbowska(DC Super Hero Girls) and Victoria Ying(Diana: Princess of the Amazons).
- Surprise Animal Appearances: Several author/artist talks will feature surprise animal guest stars.
- Book Sales and Author/Artist Signings:Throughout the day, participating authors and artists will be on hand to meet fans and sign copies of books available to purchase at the event space. Additional graphic novels beyond those presented at the event will also be available for purchase.
- Photo Ops with Batman: A Batman costumed character will make appearances to greet fans, take photos, and sign autographs.
- Free Giveaways: Signed books, superhero capes, bookmarks, posters, and Wonder Woman’s tiara and bracelets are among the many free giveaways that will be handed out throughout the day, while supplies last.
For more news and updates on DC’s middle grade graphic novels and the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, visit www.dccomics.com, the DC YouTube channel,or follow @DCComicsKids on Twitter/Facebook and @DCKids on Instagram.